I took multiple classes at the MakerPlace in San Diego, some of these include Intro and Intermediate Wood Working, Programming and building of Arduinos, and Intro to Metal Working. I wanted to find a project I could design and build that included all of these. I also wanted the project to be something innovative but useful in a college atmosphere.
I decided on a Solid wood BeerPong Table, while at first this looks like a classic college project, I put a spin on it to make it a challenge for completion. I started design in spring of 2015, going through a couple of initial designs, the first few were incredible in theory yet impossible in feasibility. Reality of cost and capabilities of the build finalized this design.
This consists of solid wood structure with an acrylic top, underneath the acrylic is eight cylinders in each of these cylinders is a LED array. These LEDs are controlled by an Arduino. This Arduino is hooked up with a microphone. I programmed it to use a Fourier transform to break down music into eight bins of frequency. These frequency bins are outputted to the LED arrays and fluctuate depending on the music. Creating one incredible light show as well as completely adaptive to music sources played around the table.
The build has been finished but decent pictures/video have yet to be taken.
This is a four foot hardwood longboard I built. There is a Maple stringer that runs through the middle of the entire board. On the top of the board there is a combination of Redheart and Oak. On the bottom there is a combination of Mahogany, Cherry, and Walnut. The combinations of the top are mainly aesthetic. While the combinations of the bottom are specifically chosen to give the middle of the board strength while providing more flex in the sides for carving.
This is a simple longboard and lacrosse stick holder I made for my little brother. It is built with two sheets of ply-wood shaped into faux surfboards coming out of the ground. As well as stained stringers running the lengths of the boards.
his was a recreation of sorts, I started with a six foot bridge that was sitting on the property and got my dimensions from that. It then needed to be upsized as to fit over a new stream we were building at the same time which took the bridge to eight feet long.
first attempt at a custom RAM Air Intake for my 2004 BMW 325Ci made from sheet metal and rivets to snugly fit the opening next to the fog light.
I have redesigned my headlights a couple times this being the most recent. I took the stock headlights that were halogen low and high beams with halogen turn signals and aftermarket angel eyes I installed in a previous upgrade. I then installed bi-xenon low beams, with updated angel eyes, LED turn signals, and gave the whole insides a new paint job to match my cars color while including the M-stripes and black stripes on the turn signal housing.
Also included in the final pictures is a concept I have been working on porting my high beam and creating a RAM Air Intake through the headlight. My limiting factor in this is a need for a new headlight lens that connects to the piping in which I need access to a quality injection molder or a 3D printer that can successfully build optically clear plastic.
This is my second headlight build for a 2009 Subaru WRX. There were much fewer electrical upgrades with this one and more paint job customization. The two major upgrades with this build were the "demon eye" upgrade and the HELLA auxiliary light install and fabrication of the mount to hold these lights.
The 'demon eye' upgrade was something rumored by car fanatics but never shown how to accomplish it. I used an optical illusion trick inside the housing so as to make the low beams appear red when they are on without affecting the actual color of the light from the headlight as to keep it legal.
The HELLA auxiliary light install was one of two auxiliary light installs. There is also a LED bar that has been installed. The Fabrication of the holder for the HELLA lights was fabricated from sheet metal using tools from my garage and coated with plasti-dip for protection and looks.
Pictures of a few of the CAD projects that I have worked on over the last couple years
This is a deck I designed and built at the end of my gap year. I didn't have anything to do and it was still a couple months before my friends all got back from college and we had just happened to get a new hot tub recently that destroyed our old deck to install it. I designed this deck with the thought of an Escher drawing of the endless staircase.
Some small woodworking projects I have built include:
A couple cheese boards I made using some supplies I recycled from previous projects
A shelf I designed for my keys and dremeled out a spot to hold my wallet.